TripAdvisor, the travel planning and booking site, has announced the winners of its 2017 Travelers’ Choice awards for destinations, recognizing people’s favourite places around the world.
The list puts Phuket alongside global mega-cities like London, Paris, New York and Rome.
This year saw the holiday island of Bali in Indonesia named number one on the ‘Top-Ten’ global destination list, while Phuket came in at a respectable number ten.
Award winners were determined using an algorithm that takes into account the quantity and quality of reviews and ratings for hotels, restaurants and attractions in destinations worldwide, gathered over a 12-month period, as well as traveller booking interest on TripAdvisor.
The awards honour a total 418 outstanding destinations in 24 lists across the globe.
“We’re excited to reveal our community’s favourite travel destinations for 2017 and recognize these iconic places with Travelers’ Choice awards,” said Barbara Messing, chief marketing officer for TripAdvisor.
TripAdvisor Top Ten Travelers’ Choice Destinations – World:
1. Bali, Indonesia: Cheapest month to go – May
2. London, United Kingdom: Cheapest month to go – April
3. Paris, France: Cheapest month to go – April
4. Rome, Italy: Cheapest month to go – April
5. New York City, United States: Cheapest month to go – August
6. Crete, Greece: Cheapest month to go – August
7. Barcelona, Spain: Cheapest month to go – May
8. Siem Reap, Cambodia: Cheapest month to go – August
9. Prague, Czech Republic: Cheapest month to go – April
10. Phuket, Thailand: Cheapest month to go – April